Nestled between the sea and the mountains, Opatija offers a lot to its visitors: from climate benefits to wonderful vistas, beaches, lovely architecture, great restaurants, and outdoor activities.Once a favorite winter resort of European nobility and artists, Opatija is today an elegant resort town for couples of all ages, and a perfect getaway for a romantic break.
Things to do in Opatija for couples
Stroll along Opatija’s seaside promenade. This promenade is built in the early 20th century. The promenade is 12 km long and it connects villages along Opatija Riviera, from Volosko to Lovran. Many hotels and bars are located along the promenade, give you lots of choices to stop for a drink, or a bite.
Enjoy a romantic dinner with your loved one at one of town’s restaurants. Opatija Riviera offer a great variety of restaurants to dine out. We love Tramerka and Valle Losca in Volosko. But other restaurants in the area are as exciting: fine dining restaurants Bevanda and Kukuriku, awesome seafood places Johnson, Najade, and Mala Riba.
Watch the world go by at the Wagner Cafe. The Wagner Cafe is a Vienna-style cafe, located in the center of the town. They make yummy pralinas.
Swim. Lido beach in Opatija was one of the first organized beaches in all Croatia. The beach is still there, although its look has changed. The beach has a sandy sea bottom, and it’s located next to the Park Angiolina. The best beaches are out of the town center, like Brsec or Moscenicka Draga beach.
Visit the Angiolina’s park. A monument of horticulture, Park Angiolina cover the surface of 3.5 hectars, and features 160 different plant species from all over the world. It’s a beautiful park to take a romantic walk.
Why we think so?
- Wonderful architecture. Opatija was built in late 19th, and early 20th century for European nobility and artists, and many buildings feature typical neoclassicism style with some random art-nouveau examples.
- Historical hotels. Tourism in Opatija is considered the beginning of tourism in Croatia as we know it today. It used to be a fashionable winter health resort full of private boarding houses, elegant hotels, and public sea baths. Many hotels are still open today. And although they’ve been renovated more than once since that time (thank God!), hotels still feature many original facilities, like sea water pools, crown moldings, ballrooms, large apertures (loggias, balconies, and windows), and facades.
- Seaside promenade. Opatija’s 12 km long seaside promenade, built over 100 years ago, is a perfect place for long romantic walks. The seaside promenade starts in a fishing village of Volosko, northeast of Opatija, and goes all the way to a village of Lovran, southwest of Opatija. This walk is awesome, flat, realy easy for anybody, yet it’s beautiful, inspiring, and just lovely. There are many coffee shops, and restaurants along the way where you can stop for refreshment.
- Variety of top-notch restaurants for a romantic dinner. Oh, boy, does Opatija delivers in this area? Hell, yeah! Opatija with its surroundings is by far the best place for dining out and sampling the food in some of the best restaurants in Croatia.
- Excellent Austrian-style cafes serve not only great coffee but variety of cakes, homemade pralines, and ice creams.
Save For Later
We hope you’ve enjoyed this post about Opatija for couples, and that hopefully we’ll inspire you to visit this lovely seaside resort. We’ve also wrote a post about reasons to visit Opatija in spring and fall, if you’d like to read further. To see other destinations in Croatia for couples, head here, or check our post about Zagreb for couples.
Accommodation in Opatija for couples
Hotel Kvarner – The first hotel built in Croatia back in 1884, hotel Kvarner still reflects the style and elegance of other times. We love the charm of this historical property, its seafront location, lovely private beach area, and a seawater outdoor pool. Room prices from 100€ per night.
Villa Ambasador – A lovely property located at the seafront, Villa Ambasador offers 49 spacious and comfy rooms, some with awesome balconies, and two rooms at the ground floor with a private garden and a whirlpool. We love the location of the villa, a shared garden with loungers and whirlpools, and the use of facilities in a nearby hotel Ambasador. Room prices start from 85€ per night.
Hotel Bevanda – A wonderful small hotel, Bevanda first open two years ago and it’s a member of the Relais&Chateaux. All 10 rooms have a large balcony overlooking the sea; some rooms have an in-room bathtub. Hotel also houses one of the best restaurants in Opatija – restaurant Bevanda. Room prices from 150€ per night.
Design hotel Navis – Brand-new, and modernly designed hotel, Navis sits on a rock, right above the sea. Located in Preluk, just few kilometers east of Opatija, the hotel offers 44 contemporary decorated rooms, all with nice balconies and awesome sea view. Other facilities include a 24h frot desk, spa center, private beach, and onsite restaurant.